Re: what is the best pop3d?

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Paul Miller wrote:

> What is the best pop3d?  I've heard that qpopper can corrupt mail files
> under even lightly loaded systems.

FWIW, I prefer to use the latest IMAP4 daemon from the University of
Washington.  IMAP4 is an improvement over POP3, as it allows better
management of messages in the remote mailbox.  A POP3 daemon is also
included in the package, though I don't have experience with other POP3
daemons to say whether it is better or not.  IMAP4 isn't widely supported
yet, so I use both on my system.

The URL is ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

Also in the /mail directory is a discussion of pop vs imap.

DISCLAIMER:  The comments above are my own and may not represent the views
             of my employer.
:     Geoffrey P. Goodrum       :         US Department of Commerce         :
:       +1-301-457-5100         : NOAA/NESDIS National Climatic Data Center :
: ggoodrum@perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov:         Satellite Services Branch         :