Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

I like the idea of topic specific lists, rather than lists like
help, discussion, etc. Scope of topic names should be made easy
to understand for all including newbies. There have been several
suggestions here, all seem to have some merit.

I do not like the idea of putting newbies and gurus in separate lists.
I think this will encourage crossposting. Also, what is a newbie, what
is a guru? I do not think the lines are clear in many cases.

I do not like the idea of replying to poster, who will then give a
summary. Personally I would rather see all responses to a thread.
There is often more than one way to solve a problem. What is best
for one case may not be best for all.

List server should be set up to reject crossposting. Perhaps bouncing
crossposts with an explanation of policy.

A searchable archive is also a good idea. Many questions have been
answered before. Sometimes the poster even knows it has been answered
before, but cannot find the answer. And most of us can only archive
a list for a few days or weeks before running out of local disk space.

I just got back from vacation and am trying to catch up on hundreds
of messages :-)

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: wpmills@midusa.net     : Where were you!                          :
: paulmills@bix.com      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: paulmills@aol.com      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
:--------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------: