libc5/libc6 cohabitat ; locales

Hello,

I have the stable 1.3.1 installed. However, as I look at unstable on the ftp,
I see lots of much more up-to-date and needed packages.... built with libc6.
I have browsed through the mailing list archives, and found bits and pieces
concerning the upgrade to libc6, but no definitive guide. Could the
knowledgeable people answer some of the questions below, w/ private email if
possible, as I'm not subscribed to the list and can only look up the webified
archives. I will summarize any useful info I get and post to the list.

- is it worth it to have both libc5 & libc6 at the same time?
  - in other words, if I have only libc6, do I get to run libc5-based
    packages? (I think not)
- if there're people who installed libc6 additionally to libc5, starting from
  plain vanilla 1.3.1, could you please share a step-by-step guide?

- in the advice already posted, I noticed the stuff about locales in libc5
postinst. What got me interested is the ru_RU line (my locale). Why is it
mapped to ISO8859-5 instead of the proper KOI8-R ? Or it is not mapped? Then
what is the do_locale thing doing. And does that mean that my combination of
stable libc5 and wg15-locale w/ 'export LANG=ru_RU' doesn't actually work as
expected?

Thanks in advance for any meaningful help

/\/\ike

Key fingerprint =  67 C4 EA 8E EB F6 7C 51  2C 8B 78 79 0C 8A DC DC