Re: [DEBIAN] Standardization?

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> I just has a discussion on a mailing list for another distribution and a
> point was raised that I think deserves some discussion here.  The main
> focus was on linux applications and difficulties in supporting the
> different distributions and versions as linux is such a quickly moving
> target.
We just discussed it on another different mailing list. My proposal was that
if anyone believes that the fs layout, package dependencies and options
used in software packages can be correlated more tightly (which I personally
sligthly doubt), there should be a mailing list and a poll web machine set
up. The people on the list could then discuss which is the "best practice"
of packaging, given the different distribution-specific implementations.
After coming up with something sensible, they could propose it to the
package maintainers. I estimate to go through on all packages in 2 and a
half years. If someone still looks at it as being a sensible project, I am
willing to contribute my ideas.

Let's se the "base" package, and only the mentioned init.d anomaly.
I think the consensus, if achievable would be that the current redhat
practice in this respect is cleaner than the current debian practice, I
don't know what posix says, though. And how do you want to move the whole
distribution toward that? Would the debian maintainers ack the proposal (not
talking about Volkerdig for a moment ^)?
For a moving step it would be possible to mkdir /etc/rc.d, move all the
dirs, and do symlinks, but when could you delete the symlinks safely?
And what if the debian is the posixish behaviour? Would redhat maintainers
risk the stability of their distribution to conform?
I am interested in the opinion of the top maintainers as well.

---
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból