Re: Driver installation problems

David_Neuer@stream.com writes:

> The modem in the PC is an ISA card modem.  Will this map to one of
> the /dev/ ttyS's?

Usually.  The kernel serial drivers will identify modems at standard
locations, because they look like serial ports.

> I could use
> MacGZip to gzip the .deb files and transfer them on a PC-formatted
> floppy, but would I get much compression, or are the files already
> compressed to the max?

The latter.  They're basically a header and a .tar.gz.  (But why don't
you try?)

> Anyone know of a compression/archive format
> that allows multi-volume archives with tools available for both
> platforms?

I used suntar on the Mac and `tar xvf /dev/fd0' on my Linux box.  You
don't get compression but you easily get any sized files across.  I
think it might also be possible to use it to write the resc1440.bin to
a disk.

--
		Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"[UNIX] appears to have the inside track on being the replacement for
  CP/M on the largest microcomputers (e.g. those based on 68000...)"