Problem with exim and fetchmail.

I just switched over from sendmail to exim on one of my machines, and
I was having a problem getting my mail from any other machine via
fetchmail.  If I put fetchmail in verbose mode I can see that exim is
rejecting the SMTP command because there's no domain name:

fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<rlb>
fetchmail: SMTP< 501 <rlb>: recipient address must contain a domain

but it's fetchmail that's trying to send the mail locally to <rlb>
with no domain.  I feel sure I've overlooked something simple.  Any
help/(RTFM pointer) would be appreciated.

$ fetchmail -u rlb -a mailbox.cs.utexas.edu
Enter password for rlb@mailbox.cs.utexas.edu:
fetchmail: 4 messages (4 seen) at rlb@cs.utexas.edu.
reading message 1 of 4 (488 header bytes) fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `rlb'
fetchmail: can't even send to calling user!
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mailbox.cs.utexas.edu: Unknown error 18446744073709551615
fetchmail: terminated with signal 2

Thanks
--
Rob