File impossible to delete

I just wrote:

> Somehow, I got a corrupted file on my system:
>
>  bash-2.00# ls -l /root/Mail/
>  total 269488144
>  c---r----- 8240 8224     8224      32,  48 Aug  2  1995 drafts
>
> I can't delete it!

I just booted the rescue disk and ran `e2fsck -f' on the partition.
After it fixed lots of stuff, including /root/Mail/drafts and files in
/dev,  I thought I'd be okay.

After rebooting the file was still there, and still undeletable.
What's worse, I looked at /dev and found unsavory things:

c---r-----   1 11576    12589    115, 100 Oct  4  1997 MAKEDEV
c---r-----   1 8224     12320     32,  32 Feb 11  1987 beep
c---r-----   1 8224     8224      10,  48 Aug  2  1995 watchdog

I can't delete those either, in order to restore them using dpkg.

I'd really appreciate ideas here.  Sound drastic to wipe out
my root partition and start over, but...  If I were to do that, could
I do:

 -  dpkg --get-selections > ~/selections
 -  wipe out /
 -  reboot with rescue disk
 -  mount /home
 -  dpkg --set-selections < ~/selections

 ?
Are dependencies handled correctly if things aren't installed in the right
order?
Or must I first install a base Debian system?

Peter