Re: Proposal and questions about chemistry Debian packages

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Frits Daalmans wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have some questions regarding Debian's attitude towards scientific
> programs.

[...]

> Now my questions are these:
> - there is no section for chemistry or quantum chemistry yet in the
> Debian distribution. Do you think there would be anyone besides me who
> would like to have one? To start collecting the freeware programmature
> floating around on the 'net to an interoperating suite of quantum
> chemistry, modelling, and data conversion programs for both students
> and professionals in chemistry.

	I think that the section should be for scientific programs in
general.
	Could be, if this is the case, split in analysis and laboratory
programs.  For analysis we already have some good packages (octave,
scilab, ...) but for laboratory data acquisition almost nothing except
Linux Lab project. I have some interest in data acquisition programs for
Linux, such as a program named Maestro for multichannel cards (Ortec).

[]s,
   Mario O.de Menezes                 mailto:mario@curiango.ipen.br
 | Nuclear and Energetic Research Institute - IPEN-CNEN/SP  BRAZIL |
 |                     http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario              |
     "There will be a day when every PC on the world will be a"
               "host, not a 'MyComputer'!" - mom