Motorola Bit Surfer Pro and BONDING

For those of you who are using Motorola Bit Surfer Pros for ISDN internet access and
have been unsucessful in getting Bonding to work. I have got it working. Following is
a description of what I've got and what I did.

My internet gateway is a 100Mhz 486 running Debian 1.3.1 with the 2.0.30 kernel.
I did custom compile my kernel and activated the ISDN options. (all of them). I am
using an external Bitsurfer Pro and dialing into a Livingstone Portmaster digital
modem bank. The Livingstone is configured for PAP and two channels have been
enabled under my user ID.

Modem setup:

I set the modem as follows with the AT command set. (I am using an NI-1 network)

AT%A2=95 -- set modem to negotiate bonding
AT@B0=2  -- set modem to support 2 B channels

NOTE don't forget to set you SPIDs and TEI and all that stuff.

My /etc/ppp.chatscript looks like this:

ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
""                ATD#######&#######  --> where ####### are the phone numbers
CONNECT    ''  <-- this is not a double quote but two single quotes

My /etc/ppp.options_out looks like this:

defaultroute /dev/ttyS1 115200 persist name ?????   --> your account name

My /etc/ppp/pap.secrets looks like this:

# OUTBOUND connections

# Here you should add your userid password to connect to your providers via
# pap. The * means that the password is to be used for ANY host you connect
# to. Thus you do not have to worry about the foreign machine name. Just
# replace password with your password.
# If you have different providers with different passwords then you better
# remove the following line.

?????    *       PPPPPPP   --> where ????? is my user ID and PPPPP is my password

In my /etc/ppp/options file I changed only one thing

domain <ISPdomain.net>

Observations:

This is not a great solution due to the fact that the system does not have control
over the respective channels. It would be nice if we could access the respective
channels as separate ttys (ie ttyI1 and ttyI2). In that manner we could function
as a gateway/bridge to two separate ISDN locations. I am of the understanding
that the ICN product functions in this manner. If someone knows how I may
acquire one of these modems It would be greatly appreciated. Based on what
I have read about the ICN 2B and 4B product and Debian, it is a much better fit.

Thanks

Peter Iannarelli