Re: Best mode for uucp over tcp.

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Adam Shand wrote:

> This isn't true.  If you use uucp-dom as the UUCP translation method then
> normal internet style mail messages work just fine (ie. no bang paths).
> All you need to do is to have your provide configure uucp for your domain
> in their /etc/mailertable as:
>
> your.domain.co.nz		uucp-dom:uucpnodename
>
> And it will work fine.

I have one site that insists on using sendmail.  This site was using me as
a smarthost for outbound mail. I instructed him to use the uucp-dom mailer
so I assume he was.  Nevertheless, about 10% of his mail to remote sites
was bouncing.  I suspect that it was because sendmail was sticking .UUCP
after my relay hostname.  In otherwords, sendmail will say that the mail
went to uucpnodename.UUCP and some mailers HATE that. Also since sendmail
queues the message up with uux using rmail, the return path ends up with
!paths in it.  Sendmail DOES NOT support batched smtp over uucp, it only
supports smtp ADDRESSING over uucp ... BIG DIFFERENCE. All uucp-dom does
is keep the addresses in internet format.

sendmail needs something like smail's rsmtp but it does not have it.
Again, if you use a sendmail site as your smarthost with UUCP you WILL
have trouble eventually with mysterious bounces.  Other sites had not
noticed it but this one site was an anonymous remailer that sent mail all
over the world.

George Bonser
Why is it that the same people that tell us that manned space flight
is a waste of money also tell us that we have been visited by aliens?