[backup method] tar or dump for backups?

I have a spare 1 GB disk at work which I could use to backup my /home
partition (which consists of 1 GB amidst a 4.3 GB disk).

(If I decide I can tolerate the 1GB-disk's whining; it's surprising how
annoying the sound of the old disk is compared to my new Seagate
Barracuda.)

I'm accustomed to using tar.  I thought I'd learn about incremental tar
archives and:

 o  erase the disk every Friday evening and make a new tar file
    on the disk.
 o  create an incremental tar file from Monday to Thursday evenings.

Is this wise?  Or should I use dump/restore which I know nothing about?

Part of the protection I want is from myself:
 If I accidentally delete a file on Monday and it takes me until
 Thursday to realise that, I'd like the file to still exist on the backup.
Perhaps incremental tar deletes a newly deleted file from the tar file
to keep in sync with the disk, thus defeating part of my purpose?

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada