Re: smail configuration?

Your problem is that you will need to modify your hostname every time you
connect to your PPP host so that your reverse lookup will match your
hostname or you will never be able to send/recieve mail.

There IS an alternative.

If you can find someone that will act as a smarthost for you that is also
UUCP capable, you could do uucp over tcp/ip to get/collect your mail from
them no matter WHERE they happen to be.

Here is one easy way of doing it:

Go to ml.org and get a hostname in their domain ... say your system is
called SPUNKY, you might try to get spunky.ml.org ... it is free but they
WOULD like you to send a donation!

Now, when you set up the spunky.ml.org hostname, they will ask you for an
MX host.  Simply put in the hostname of the MX host that you want to use.
That system would then collect ALL mail for spunky.ml.org

When you connect to penn state, you would then grab all of your mail from
your MX host using UUCP over tcp/ip.  You could also deposit all OUTGONG
mail in the same transaction.  You would, of course, use a visible host
name in your smail config file of spunky.ml.org and you can FORGET about
using penn states smtp altogether. If you use the uusmpt transport, there
are not even any bang paths in the mail at all.  This is impossible with
sendmail and uucp but easilly done with smail.

If you would like, I can provide such an MX service for you.  It is a
breeze using debian's smail and uucp.  It is almost TRIVIAL.  Email me
privately if you are interested, I am going out for a couple of hours but
will be back later.

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Kevin M. Bealer wrote:

> I am trying to configure smail.  I have read the documentation,
> searched the source code for an hour or so, and tried to use the
> generic configuration script at different settings.
>
> I have been at this for several days -- my mail is still bouncing.
>

> I am on a system which does not have a permanent connection, rather it
> has a dynamic IP through Penn State.
>

> When the mail bounces, it comes back with a message to the effect that
> the hostname in question does not exist.  This is true of course,
> since it is the hostname of the local system, which is a dial up dynamic
> IP thing.
>
> When using the debian "configure smail" script, there are 5 or so
> options.  The UUCP to smarthost seems to be the closest, except that
> instead of UUCP I want to use smtp.  Unfortunately, there is not an
> option like this, and although I have tried to modify that setup to
> do the job, it seems to do about the same.
>
> Some hosts bounce, some do not -- I assume hosts that are trying to
> prevent spam etc are bouncing more than those that aren't.
>
> People have to be using it this way... what is the trick?  It shouldn't
> make any difference, but I am using (mh).
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin Bealer
>

> --

George Bonser
Why is it that the same people that tell us that manned space flight
is a waste of money also tell us that we have been visited by aliens?