Re: Debian and Red Hat and Slackware prevalence

> Perhaps Debian's becoming the developers' OS of choice, while Red Hat
> is replacing Slackware as the introduction to Linux.

That's fine with me.  I started with Slackware, and moved to Debian.
I wouldn't recommend Slackware to a new user (unless it has changed)
- having a package management system is such a huge labour saver.

Over time, I think Debian will end up being more popular than Red Hat.
Why?  Because Red Hat will have only one company marketing it -- while
Debian will have several.

Red Hat is probably a better choice for a beginner right now, since it
is being marketed towards beginners.  That means Red Hat has put together
a decent 'retail' package with a CD, manual, and they are a bit more
organized (since they are a company, after all).

Red Hat Software is a company, so they have to turn a profit.  That
means they have to have a plan for what they do.  An agenda, if you
will.  Part of their plan is to build an excellent distribution for
newbies.

Debian, on the other hand, is a pretty loose organization.  I
think of it as an amorphous blob of software, bounded by the terms
of our new 'Debian Free Software Guidelines'.  The Debian project
doesn't have a particular direction defined.  What we do is really
the sum total of what the individual developers want to do.  In the
log run, that means Debian is going to be doing lots of things that
Red Hat isn't interested in.  Plus, we will have many more
developers.  Because of this, I believe Debian is going to be the
superior distribution, if it isn't already.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim