Keyboard lock

OK, after running Debian Linux for a week, my system developed
the following bug.  After logging in from xdm, I can get in about
five to twenty keystrokes before the keyboard locks and I can't
even do a vulture nerve pinch to shut down.

My previous Slackware partition runs fine.  I don't have enough
disk space to preserve both indefinitely, so I hope some Debian
users can suggest a cure.