Repartition Format

Hi

I've just finished repartition my hard drive using FIPS and have confirmed
that the partition was done, but the new partition doesn't seem to be
formatted.  I am a little bit confused how to format the new drive. Do I:

	(a) - Format the new drive first in DOS then boot Linux from the
		CD.
				or
	(b) - Format the new drive using the Linux fdisk, then boot Linux.

My new disk space for Linux is around 700MB could provide a nice way of
dividing this for Linux, (i.e how much do I reserve for root, swap disk (i
have 16MB RAM), usr, etc).

How do directly boot of the CD? From DOS or Win95?

Thanks
Patrick