Re: Installing tonight -- a question or two

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Shaleh wrote:
> Did you have to do anything special with the kernel?  How is the
> performance of it?

I haven't done anything special to my kernel, except for compile in
sound support.  When I first got my cyrix 200+, I used my same
harddrive/kernel that I had built on a P75.  The only difference was that
with uname it shows up as 'i486' instead of 'i586'.

The have had good performance with both my cyrix chips.  There is no
noticable difference in speed when comparing my roomates P150 and my Cyrix
150+ both running similiar setups of Debian.  I use Afterstep windows
manager and application startup is quick - netscape, xterms, emacs, xv.

Dennis

--
dpk <dpk@egr.msu.edu>, Systems Undergrad       |  work: 517.353.8892
Division of Enginnering Computing Services     |  page: 517.222.5875

With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available. On Unix, I am
limited only by my knowledge.
   --Peter J. Schoenster