Re: educational software on Debian

Hi Alan and Nancy,

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> I would appreciate hearing from you about any success.  I too am
> interested in educational use of linux.  Debian or not, though I use
> debian.

	I think you saw the reply from Carlo Segre at Debian-user list.
He mentions ucblogo. This was the only package I found in sunsite. I don't
know if I sought with enough patience.
	Maybe some University could start a program to do some good
software for Linux to be used in schools labs for teaching not only
computer but also other areas: geo, history, biology, zoo, mathematics...

> I have been looking into some possibilities with GIS, and some with a
> commercial CAD package.  I have looked into the thing you are
> mentioning, but did not even get a reply from the Debian mailing list
> to my inquiry that was like yours.
>
> I joined some linux and education mailing lists, and perhaps I could
> dig out the addresses, but in reality, there is less than a message a
> month on those lists.

	I guess we (Linux fans/users) are a little back of Windoze in this
field.

> One thing possible?  There is an appleII emulator in the debian packages.
>
> I am interested in staying in touch anyway.

	Ok.
	With the status of computer use in all areas, Linux can not stay
away from children learning. They'll be the warriors of tomorrow and
should be better if they are in our side :)

[]s,
   Mario O.de Menezes                mailto:mario@curiango.ipen.br
 | Nuclear and Energetic Research Institute - IPEN-CNEN/SP  BRAZIL |
 |     http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario  - -   http://www.ipen.br    |