bootdisk/lilo/ramdisk

I'm trying to make a boot disk with lilo and a ramdisk on it, is this
possible?

Also, when I was booting from my first homemade bootdisk+ramdisk I
didn't have all the libraries I needed...  From this boot disk I want to
run zftape.o (module) and taper 6.8.  Does taper require tar+gzip or is
it's compression built in?

Here is what I have:

/bin
   bash
   cp
   gzip
   ls
   mount
   rm
   sh -> bash
   tar
   umount
/dev
   fd0
   hda
   hda1
   hda2
   hda3
   hda4
   hda5
   hda6
   hdb
   hdb1
   hdb2
   hdb3
   hdb4
   hdb5
   hdb6
   hdc
   hdc1
   hdc2
   hdc3
   hdc4
   hdc5
   hdc6
   hdd
   nqft0
   nrawft0
   nrft0
   nzqft0
   qft0
   ram -> ram0
   ram0
   ramdisk -> ram0
   rawft0
   rft0
   zqft0
/etc
   fstab
   hostname
   lilo.conf
   lilo.msg
   profile
/lib
   ld-linux.so.1 -> ld-linux.so.1.8.10
   ld-linux.so.1.8.10
   ld.so -> ld.so.1.8.10
   ld.so.1.8.10
   lib.so.5 -> lib.so.5.4.33
   lib.so.5.4.33
   /modules
       zftape.o
/mnt
/proc
/sbin
   insmod
   rmmod
/usr
   /bin
       bg_backup
       bg_restore
       taper
/var

I can compile taper statically.. its not right now because of gzip,tar,
and bash (which needs more libs then I used) and I don't know if I'd run
out of space w/ all staticly compiled libs.. I probably shoud use a
smaller/simpler shell too.. any recommendations?

-Paul