modem problems with base install

I'm having trouble with a Dynalink 1428VQH part way through the
install. dmesg gets:
]] Serial dirver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
]] tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450  		[[
]] tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16450  		[[
]] tty02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A 		[[ <= the modem

Using pon and its accompanying scripts I was unable to access the
modem. I obtained minicom via Wingate on my win95 terminal on the
LAN, and installed it. It is able to access the modem, but typing
'atdt' takes about thirty seconds to execute (or even appear
onscreen). Obviously the machine is having trouble talking to the
modem ...

Where would be the first place to look for the problem? I'm a
complete newby, and delighted with the way things have gone so far.
I'd run dselect via wingate, but I don't know how to make it proxy
correctly so I figured the next step was to connect the box directly.

System currently has the base install, minicom and libc5 only. Have
gotten this far with the generous help of people on irc
#debian. Thanks guys!

Cheers!

//cb

chris@ibex.co.nz