Re: fetchmail problem?

Lindsay Allen wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> [snip]

> /usr/sbin/in.smtpd
>
> [snip]
>
> > After reading the previous response, I noticed that my /etc/inetd.conf
> > did NOT have smtp defined.  Adding that also fixes the problem for me
> > (without the need for the mda line).
>
> There is/was a rogue package in the system which obliterates inetd.conf in
> the process of changing it.  This happened to me and I know of other
> cases, but I have not been able to track down the cause.
>
> So have a look at your file - if it is but a few lines long you have the
> same problem.  If indeed this is the case will you please send me a copy
> before you fix it?
>
> Lindsay

There are 56 lines in my inetd.conf file.  The smtp line was inserted by the
exim installation and reads as follows:

/snip/
#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs
/snip/

Do I also need another smpt line entry in this file?  As an example:

smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.smtpd

Victor