Re: sound under Debian

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 simons@alpha14.vki.ac.be wrote:

> Just to let you know that I (finally) got my 'SB16 plug & play'
> soundcard working under debian.

> I only was asked for one range ?). Probably nothing to worry about
> since my CD's play fine.

Actually,  that's not necessarily an indication that EVERYTHING works
quite right.  If all you want to do is play CDs,  you're ok.  Otherwise,
I'd recommend getting some linux sound software and playing around to make
sure the rest of it is configured properly.

> I did not select the SB16 as a MODULE though, is that preferable ?
Well,  assuming you already have module support in your kernel (you most
likely do),  compiling the driver as a module means that whenever you're
not using your soundcard,  the driver isn't in RAM,  which frees up some
memory.  If you have a lot of RAM,  or you don't care about effeciency,
not using the module is fine.  It's possible,  tho,  using kerneld (which
is probably also already installed),  to have the kernel auto-load and
-unload the driver for you when needed,  if it's compiled as a module.

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
               		      lowe@eecis.udel.edu
			http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~lowe/