Re: Swap Space

Hi,
>>"Robert" == Robert D Hilliard <hilliard@metrolink.net> writes:

>> I have 96M of RAM, I use swap space of about 3 times my RAM.

Robert> The rule of thumb of three times RAM has always seemed highly
Robert> illogical to me.  A machine with 8 mb probably needs much more
Robert> than 24 mb, while one with 97 mb probably doesn't need any.

	Probably. It is just reflex now, after a decade of doing
 this. I *had* managed to run out of swap with 32M of RAM and 64M os
 swap a couple of months ago (running Emacs, a kernel compile,
 netscape, povray, and compiling a multithreaded rpc client at the
 same time), so I decided to go back to the times three rule when I
 upped the RAM (disk space is cheap, relatively)

	manoj
--
 "SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
 Ken Thompson