Re: apache, public_html, and security

>>"Paul" == Paul Miller <Paul@LuckyNumber.com> writes:

Paul> is there a way I can prevent users from looking at other user's
Paul> dirs and still have the public_html function of apache (v1.2.1)?

	Not trivially. The http server process runs as user www-data
 (for apache, boa runs as user nobody). In order for the apache server
 to see the files in users directories, the files have to be readable
 by www-data. Typically, that would mean world readable files.

	However, www-data belongs to group www-data. This may help.
  NOTE: This is untested.
  Suppose you, as root, go in and
  # cd /home
  # chgrp -R www-data */public_html/
  # chmod g+rxs */public_html/

	Since the users are still the owners of the directory and the
 files, they can still add/delete files.

	Since the directories are g+s, any new files will inherit the
 group (www-data) from the parent directory. (note: you may really
 want to do a something like:
 # for i in */public_html ; do
       echo Working on $i
       chgrp -R www-data $i
       find $i -type d -exec chmod g+rxs {} \;  -print
       echo $i done
   done
)

	I hope this at least gives you a starting point.

	manoj
--
 "I have discovered the heart of bushido: to die!" Yamamoto Tsunetomo