Re: How Linux (and Debian) compare?

davidm@harmonic.gse.rmit.EDU.AU (David M) writes:

> I'd be careful on the way you do this.  I too wouldn't mind knowing how
> many ppl use Debian but I would certainly not like emails to be sent with
> details of what I have installed on my system (specially if I do not know
> they are being sent and what info is being sent).

I second this. I wouldn't like my Debian system to do weird stuff
without my approval either. The key point here is "approval".

> An alternative would be to have a registration package that would allow
> those who *wish* to register to do so easily and as securely as possible.

A registration package would have to be installed by the user/sysadmin
and i doubt he'll consider it even if he'd find it among the large
number of Debian packages via 'dselect'! ;-)

I'd rather suggest to automize such a thing as standard behaviour of
the install routine, but just a little bit more transparent. How about
generating said email contents and then send it to "root@localhost"
asking to reedit the mail to one's liking and resend it to the (still
fictional) email address <debian-registration@debian.org> letting the
installer decide by him-/herself?  This way maybe everybody's needs
could be pleased!?  I remember that on the first Slackware i installed
more than two years ago 'root@localhost' already had an email in
his/her inbox with detailed descriptions on how to subscribe to the
international Linux counter.
                                    Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de