Harddrive/IDE channel error

I've got a fully pnp system,  with a seagate 2.1 gig drive and a Creative
Labs CD420 cd drive on the first ide (ide0) channel.  I've been letting
the bios auto-detect everything (what's a pnp bios for,  anyway ... :) ),
and sometimes,  at seemingly random times,  I get the following error,
under kernelversions 2.0.27 and 2.0.30.

hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 {DriveReady Seekcomplete DataRequest}
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success

     ^
this | scrolls on the screen,  and just repeats ad infinitum.  The machine
is essentially frozen;  the only way I've found to fix it is to hit the
case-mounted reset button.

The error seems _not_ to happen under Windoze,  and doesn't seem to be
triggered by anything I can lay a finger on (not launching a particular
application,  for example).  I remember hearing about a problem with LBA
mode,  so I switched to a different mode,  but then I can't boot... lilo
just prints

LI

and freezes (tho sometimes CTRL-ALT-DEL still works).

						Any clues?

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
               		      lowe@eecis.udel.edu