not a debian question

Hi people!

This is not a Debian question, but I thought someone might know....

I have a pentium computer with a dual IDE controller, but BIOS can access
only primary channel.

         Will Linux be able to 'see' both channels? (hope it is a yes...)

And one more question.

I have tried to install second HD on the primary channel and .....
Hard drive from Western Digital is not recognized at all, but BIOS can
find a Seagate one.  Nevertheless, when I turn on the computer BIOS says
that the new HD did not pass POST, press F1 to continue and computer boots
from my old Panasonic drive, but very slowly... After that if I warm
reboot the computer, everything is fine.

It is a bit inconvenient to wait for 3 min for an error message, slow boot
and then reboot .... Quite a complicated boot sequence. ...
IDE controller supports PIO 0,1,2,3,4 ; BIOS supports Large Block
Addressing (LBA mode)

Did anyone have the same type of problem? Does anyone know what to do?
Maybe I have to change something in BIOS setup...
People how manufactured BIOS ( Award ) and IDE claim that it should
work.....

Thanks to everybody

ZORO