Re: XTerm on XFree86 3.3-3 trouble

(I'm Cc:ing this to debian-devel in an effort to get it fixed. :))

Martin.Bialasinski@uni-koeln.de wrote to debian-user:
>When I start mc in a xterm I have trouble with the F-Keys:
>
>F1 gives P
>F2 gives Q
>F3 gives R
>F4 gives S
>
>F5 - F10 work just fine.

This is an old bug in the terminfo entry for xterm. It and related other
bugs have been reported as bugs #2158, #2291, #3162, and #3973 in the Debian
bug report archive (<URL:http://www.debian.org/Bugs/>).

The current situation (xbase 3.3-3, ncurses-base 1.9.9e-1) is as follows:
 - in a "cat" in an xterm, F1 to F4 give ^[OP, ^[OQ, ^[OR, and ^[OS,
   respectively
 - "infocmp xterm" says, among other things:
    kf1=\E[11~, kf2=\E[12~, kf3=\E[13~, kf4=\E[14~
One of them is clearly wrong. But which one?

A strange thing is that bug report #3162 (against xbase 3.1.2-9) reports the
bug being the other way around -- infocmp xterm shows kf1=\EOP, but cat
gives ^[[11~. It appears that there has been some circular fixing going on.

So, Debian developers: Can we decide which one is "correct", xterm or the
terminfo entry, and adjust the other accordingly?

For Debian users, the easiest thing to do is wait for the bug to get fixed.
:) As a sort of temporary workaround, you can try setting "TERM=vt220"; that
should fix the function keys, but may cause other similar keyboard or
display problems.

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@spider.compart.fi, rjs@lloke.dna.fi