Re: group permission & nethack

Hi -

    Rick> I"m trying to run nethack.  however, i get repsonses to hte
    Rick> effect of

    Rick> No write permission to lock /var/lib/games/nethack/perm!

    Rick> checking the permissions,

    Rick>  0 -rw-rw-r--   1 root     games           0 May 27 02:02 logfile
    Rick>  0 -rw-rw-r--   1 root     games           0 May 27 02:02 perm
    Rick>  0 -rw-rw-r--   1 root     games           0 May 27 02:02 record
    Rick>  1 drwxrwxr-x   2 root     games        1024 May 27 02:02 save

The problem is the directory listed there itself.  If "." was listed
above, I think it'd be mode 755, with no permission for the group to
write.

  chmod 775 /var/lib/games/nethack/

should do it (it did for me with version 3.2.2-7).

    Rick> And I did add myself to group games (though i'm pretty sure i
    Rick> didn't have to do this last time).

Yeah, nethack is setuid games, you don't have to be in the group.

I submitted a bug report on this, since I didn't see a fixed version on
master or anywhere yet, but the developer said,

  >   Nethack should either be up to -8 or -9, depending on whether I've
  > uploaded the one I'm looking at right now. :)
  >
  >   Anyway, the bug was fixed a while ago.  (in -8, according to the changelog)

so it's coming down the pike somewhere.

Hth,

--
Ed Donovan					ed@capecod.net