Re: 16 bit color for X

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, jr wrote:

> I install Debian 1.3.1 today (i use Red Hat before) and when I start X
> whitn "startx" all its OK. But when I wnat more color depth, I use
>
> "startx -- -bpp 16"
>
> but then my screen are flicking and the resolution down very much (much
> like EGA card)....why? what can i do?
>
> I have an S3 Trio64 and I don't have this problem in RedHat.

I suspect that XFree thinks that the modes that need to be used for the
resolution you want are not supported by your monitor.  If you attach the
output from the startx command, it could help in diagnosing the problem.

One thing you could try is to check the XF86Config file you have in Redhat
and see where it differs from your current one, this will tell you how to
modify your current version to work with your system.  I suspect that you
might have the wrong frequencies for the monitor in the current file.

Cheers,

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                            segre@iit.edu                            *