cua vs ttyS and diald

Firstly as a lurker on this list for the past 4 months thanks for all
the help and tips!

I'm currently trying to setup diald. My current ISP connection is done
using pon/poff/chatscript etc via cua0. Reading various notes on the
mailing list I get the impression I should be using ttyS0 not cua0.

The current devices are setup as follows:

crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    5,  64 Dec  9  1996 /dev/cua0
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    5,  65 Dec  9  1996 /dev/cua1
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    5,  66 Dec  9  1996 /dev/cua2
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    5,  67 Dec  9  1996 /dev/cua3
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  65 Dec  9  1996 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  66 Dec  9  1996 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  67 Dec  9  1996 /dev/ttyS3

If I understand these device details correctly, the ttyS devices are
setup for incoming calls (denoted by the 4) and the cua devices for
outgoing calls (denoted by the 5). I don't have any ttyS0 device.

Therefore how do I setup a ttyS0 device for dialing out?
Also should I change the setup for the existing ttyS devices?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alan