setting time via a server?

I currently use a small script/executable combination named st/gettime to
set my system clock via an atomic server. This is done as a cronjob at
3am and immediately after the system time is written to the cmos time
(clock -w). For some unknown reason, once and awhile when I come in to my
office in the morning, the time is correct, but the date is advanced
forward by one day. Is there some other method of doing this that will set
the date as well as the time from a internet server? st will only do the
time. Also, I would prefer not to run xntp - it seems wasteful to me to
have it running continuously to just set the clock every 24 hours. Can
xntp be used as a one-off program and put into a crontab? Cheers.

--
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
	    School of Policy Studies Building, Queen's University