compiling ftools on debian machine

Hi

I have been trying to compile a package called ftools on my debian P5-166.
Initial problems with X libs were solved by installing xlib6-dev_3.2-6.deb,
but now I have a problem with termcap. According to the FAQ on compatiblity
one must replace all references to libtermcap with libncurses to get stuff
to compile on debian. I have a two lines in the ftools makefile:

LIB_COMMON =    -lcftools -lcfitsio -lftools -lxanlib -lfitsio \
                -ltermcap -lpgplot

LIBXSEL_COMMON = -L${FTOOLS_LIB} -lxron -lftools -lxanlib -lfitsio \
                 -ltermcap -lpgplot

I have tried changing "-ltermcap" to "-lncurses", but get:

ld: cannot open -lncurses: No such file or directory

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

P.S. A quick thanks to the debian mailing list - it has been more helpful to
me in the past than any commercial support service.

Matt Delaney				E-mail: debian@bermuda.ucd.ie
Space Science & Advanced Materials	tel:	+353 1 	706 2202 (work)
Physics Dept.						497 7480 (home)
University College Dublin		fax:		283 7275
Belfield
Dublin 4 IRELAND