Sound Card, MSS

Hi.  First off, thanks for all the help from this list.  I just got a
new computer, and it is running beautifully.  I've recieved more help
from this list (and the newsgroups) then I've ever recieved from any
tech support line.

Okay, almost beautifully.  When I got the computer, I took the sound card
that came with it out (along with the worthless "WinModem") and replaced
it with a SB16.  I put in all the DMA & IRQ junk, recompiled, etc.
Didn't work.  I finally got fed up and put the other sound card back
in (Which is a Crystal sound card).  Lo and behold, it worked with the
settings I had put for the SB16.  Kernel wouldn't compile when I tried
to specify Crystal as the sound card.

Unfortunately, it only plays 8 bit and I can't get CD audio.  So, I
tried turning on MSS.  That actually worked.  CD played, and it played
16 bit sound.  Unfortunately, it was noisy as hell.  Constant loud
static; and I couldn't fix the volume (or anything at all except DSP
volume) with asmixer or xmix.  Any ideas?  Alternately, any idea why I
couldn't get the SB16 to work?  Should I have had MSS on while it was in?
Would isapnp help with the Crystal?  Or a 2.1.x kernel?  This is all
very wierd, but at least I feel like I'm making some progress. :)

Another thing, even if I can get the SB16 to work, I may have problems
with cd audio.  The cord goes from the cd to the motherboard.  Then a
cord goes from the motherboard to the sound card, which has a cord that
went to the WinModem.  Problem is, I *could* plug the cord from the cd
to motherboard into the sound card, but it is jammed way in the corner,
and is nearly impossible to get out.

Anyway, specs on my machine.  586, 200Mhz, 32MB RAM, kernel 2.0.30.
Hewlett Packard, if that helps.  The Crystal sound card is a piece of
hardware which demonstrates my ignorance.  It looks like an ISA card,
but it has no connectors.  It plugs into the motherboard via data cord.
Looks silly, but it works.

Thanks for any and all help.

joe