xdm login

Hello,

When logging into X using xdm, after I enter my login name and password, I get a
big white box in the upper left hand corner of the screen with a message that
boot is still in progress.  I depress the OK button in this box , it goes away
and all works fine in X.  This is kind of a pain to do on each login.  The box
is there whether xbanner is installed or uninstalled.  It never used to be there
but now it is and I've tried various purging and reinstalling of the main x
packages with no luck.

What must one do to get rid of this box?

Thanks,

Victor