RE: Problems with Debian 1.3 new installation and ThinkPad 365XD

On 11-Jul-97 Timothy J. Miller wrote:
>       I'm attempting a new install on the ThinkPad 365XD w/800x600
>display, 40Mb RAM, CDROM and external floppy; at boot, the system reports
>root.bin loaded, then linux, then it simply halts.

I thought that the consensus was that the 365XD cannot boot bzImages.
I went the route of installing Debian 1.1 (with boot disks using
zImages) and then upgrading.  The most direct solution is to compile
an appropriate zImage on a working Linux machine and add that to the
boot floppy.

>       The ThinkPad 760LD is running an upgrade from Debian 1.2.  I
>didn't have any boot problems with the initial Debian 1.1 installation on
>the 760LD, *or* with the complete reinstall I did with Debian 1.2.  The
>linux-2.0.30 without modifications; in the past it has also booted the
>2.0.27, 28, and 29.
>
>From messages on this list, the 760LD works fine with the boot floppies.  I
would be interested in your experience with the 365XD if you get Debian
installed.  I have had troubles with sporadic kernel panics and other errors.
Although I followed the instructions for upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3, I have ended
up with a bad ldso package (probably through a kernel panic or other error that
went unnoticed by me).  Now I cannot use dpkg to successfully perform any act to
rescue my system.  So far, nobody on the debian-users list has been able to
suggest a way to rescue the system.  Maybe I will just have to reinstall from
scratch - so much for the power of Debian on my Thinkpad.

Paul Rightley