Re: adding ipfwadm rules

Randy Edwards (redwards@together.net) wrote:

:    I've been playing around with masquerading (which has been going
: surprisingly smoothly -- great!:-).  Well, I've got enough confidence in
: this that I want to have it come up whenever the machine is up.
:
:    Being the Linux newbie that I am, I was wondering there the most
: appropriate place to add the ipfwadm lines would be.
:
:    I'm thinking they'd be a "natural" for adding to /etc/init.d/network, but
: I was wondering if this is a good place for such commands or whether there's
: a standard place for such things.

Well, you should not modify or touch something that already exists, like
/etc/init.d/network. You should definitely create your own script under
/etc/init.d (call it ipfwadm, for example) and the run update-rc.d
(see man update-rc.d) to update the links to /etc/init.d/ipfwadm in the
/etc/rc?.d directories.

A good start point is this script that jaldhar@braincells.com
(Jaldhar H. Vyas) posted to Debian-user a couple of weeks ago:

 -- BEGIN --
case "$1" in
  start)
     /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.2.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
     /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
     /sbin/ipfwadm -I -p accept
     /sbin/ipfwadm -O -p accept
     echo "Firewall and masquerading rules set"
    ;;
  stop)
     /sbin/ipfwadm -F -f
     /sbin/ipfwadm -I -f
     /sbin/ipfwadm -O -f
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/ipfw {start|stop}"
    exit 1
esac

exit 0

 -- END --

Modify the above script acording to your needs and put it in
/etc/init.d/ipfwadm, then run update-rc.d.

Regards,

E.-

--

Eloy A. Paris