Re: NIS/AMD questions

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997 01:35:38 EDT "Richard G. Roberto"
(robertor@typhoon.co.jp) wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:
>
> > 1) If the NIS server is down for a NIS domain, root cannot log on the
> > console. This is annoying, accounts which are in /etc/passwd (like
> > root) should be always accessible.
>
> Can root log in over the network?  Are you running anything
> "non-standard" in the way of PAM or shadow support?  Which
> version of yp-client are you using?  I'm using the linux
> version available on sunsite (circa '95) and it works fine.
> I have a very slow link back to NY (where the ypservers are
> running on Solaris via niskit1.2) and ypbind sometimes gags
> and hoses everything except local entries.  I can usually
> kill ypbind and restart it with ypset and pick a server
> that's behaving, but not always.  In any case, root (or any
> local account) can always log in.  I'm not running anything
> else (i.e. PAM, shadow).

I have no pam whatsoever. I have the debian nis package, and when the
NIS server goes down login hangs and dies, even on the console.
The root entry is not exported via NIS and is present on the machine's passwd.
Am I alone experiencing this ?

Phil.