Re: Help transfering data....

Kevin J Poorman wrote:

> I just got a new hard drive and wish to transfer my root fs to this new
> drive as it is larger....

Assuming root (/) is a single partition, and /mnt another, you can do:

 tar clf - / | ( cd /mnt ; tar xpvf - )

Explanation:

     c     : create tar file
      l    : don't cross filesystem boundaries
       f - : output to stdout

             | : pipe the tar file

               ( group of commands    )
                 cd /mnt    : cd to other partition
                 tar xpvf - : extract tar file here

                     x      : extract tar file
                      p     : preverse permissions
                       v    : be verbose (list all files as you extract)
                        f - : grab tar file from stdin
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada