Re: talk to debian and sun

I think that Sun and such are using the old talk port.  (I have no idea if
the protocols differ...)  If you check your /etc/services file, you'll
probably see:

talk            517/udp
ntalk           518/udp

And in the /etc/inetd.conf:

talk     dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd/usr/sbin/in.talkd
ntalk    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd/usr/sbin/in.ntalkd

You might be missing the one on port 517, which might you don't see talk
requests from those machines.

Now, doesn't anyone find it silly that the old port isn't supported by
default?  I've found that MOST of the Universities that I want to talk
with are all using the old talk port!  UIUC, UPenn, CMU, Cornell, U of
Delaware...and I'm sure many, many more.

One quick and easy way around the problem is to install to-talk...made
specifically to talk to the old systems.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have
all of the nifty features of ytalk.  And I find it particularly annoying
to have to use a different talk command depending on the source of the
talk request.

Maybe this subject should be taken to the Linux newsgroups...