Re: X & modprobe gone wild

> I find
> lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp1:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
[...]
> I suppose I should comment this out?

Yes. /dev/lp1 is the char-major-6 device which has being giving you all
this trouble. Comment it out, restart lpd or reboot or whatever, reclaim
wasted disk space by deleting the print job(s) in /var/spool/lpd/lp :-)

> there is a network printer that i think i could use, once i figure out
> how.  For now, though, all printing is by ftping to our public machines
> which are connected.

Err .... (off the top of my head)

<queue-name>|Verbose Description:\
	:lp=:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/<queue-name>:\
	:rm=<remote-system>:\
	:rp=<remote-queue>:

where <queue-name> is the name you want to use for the printer queue,
and <remote-system> is the host name of the machine to which the printer
is physically attached, and <remote-queue> is the name of the queue on
the remote system. Usually, <queue-name> and <remote-queue> will be the
same, but they don't need to be.

Other things like filters, page parameters etc. are set on the remote
system, I think. Not sure about sh (suppress header page) - you'll need
to experiment :-)

You'll need to create /var/spool/lpd/<queue-name> - give it the same
owner, group and permissions as /var/spool/lpd/lp.

You may need to configure <remote-system> to authorise acceptance of
print jobs from your own system. I'm not sure how to do this with the
"Linux" lpd system (I don't have much network experience of Linux), but
I seem to remember from my pre-Solaris (i.e. SunOS 4.x) days that you
use /etc/hosts.lpd - it's more or less the same lpd system.

Allan