X11 libraries do not load, link problem?

Many X11 programs (9wm, xmix) fail to execute complaining that they can't
load library (libXaw.so.6, libXext.so.6).  I think I heard at one point
that one release of Debian (1.2 here) had a problem with a link in one of
the X directories.  If anyone has any idea about how to fix this I would
greatly appreciate it.

__
I like six eggs when starting on a journey.  Fried - not poached.  And
mind you don't break 'em.  I won't eat a broken egg.
                                              -- Thorin Oakenshield