Re: /var/log/messages not world-readable anymore?

Debian user mail writes:

> > Any more examples of why this could be a security hole?
>
> I'm not sure why it is or isn't a security hole, but I think it might be a
> change in the new(er) version of sysklogd.  I upgraded that package
> yesterday, and manually rotated my logs today, and voila! I could no
> longer tail -f my logs.  Bummer.

I don't like public readable logfiles that *can* contain confidential
information.  e.g. sendmail logs to that file who has sent a mail
to whom.  I believe this *is* confidential.

If you don't think so, edit /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd and make a
manual chmod.

Regards

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/        Eine Kette ist nur so stark wie ihr schwächstes Glied  /