Re: PPP dial-up script

David Densmore hat gesagt: // David Densmore wrote: (dden@rollanet.org):

> What command do I use to get the script to fire up my modem and do
> its stuff?

Here's my way:
I "su" to root and start the connection with

$ pon

This starts pppd with the chatscript directives I have stored in
/etc/ppp.chatscript. All normal debian-ppp usage!

> One other thing, I don't understand the last part of the HOW-TO about
> starting PPP at the server end (which I have to do).

I think you have to do a thing that is very similar to my setup.

My ISP requires that after I get connected to his dial-in server I have to
start his pppd with the command "ppp".
The promt he gives me is
"port-12345:"    (the number after port changes every time I login.

So I added a line to /etc/ppp.chatscript:
>---- cut -------<
port          ppp
>---- cut -------<
^^^           ^^^
This is       This is
what the      what it answers when it receives "port"
chat programm
waits for

> access-1>
> access-2>
> access-3>
> access-4>

here the  /etc/ppp.chatscript would have a line
>---- cut -------<
access          ppp
>---- cut -------<

> I don't understand how to translate the author's example to my server,
> and since I don't know how to run the script in the first place, I
> can't experiment.

Again:
Become root and type "pon"

--