Making Kernel

I have been having a problem using make-kpkg to make a debianized kernel.
The first time I did this procedure it worked, scripts ran and I ended up
with the debian package:

make menuconfig
make dep
make-kpkg -r Custom.1 kernel_image

The second time (after I installed the kernel package, found my mistakes
and corrected them in make menuconfig) I ran the same sequence I got the
following:
make: nothing to be done for kernel_image.

Question: what dumb thing did I do or not do?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Bucciarelli, N7CK
n7ck@theriver.com