NIS/AMD questions

I know this is not related to debian, but...

1) If the NIS server is down for a NIS domain, root cannot log on the
console. This is annoying, accounts which are in /etc/passwd (like
root) should be always accessible.

2) I have amd which download its maps from a NIS server. If the NIS
server is down, then amd will complain, but it won't try to reload
the maps once the NIS server is back up. I've tried to use
-cache:=none, but it doesn't help.

Thanks for any help.
Phil.