Re: Log of secondary DNS updating from primary.

On 8 Jul 1997, Chris Brown wrote:

:
:     I need to determine weather my ISP is actually being secondary
:to my primary DNS.  After looking at my log files I found entries
:like this.
:
:Jul  7 23:24:06 oak named[451]: approved AXFR from [204.176.14.4].4231 for "seitz.com"
:
:I gather that this says that 204.176.14.4 retrieved the records
:for "seitz.com".  Is there any other means of determining weather
:their DNS is acting as secondary?

Sure.  Use nslookup in interactive mode.  First, do a 'set q=soa', and
then query for 'seitz.com'.  The IP address of the secondary
(204.176.14.4) shpould be listed as one of the authoritative
nameservers.

Next, issue a 'server 204.176.14.4', which will make that server the
server to be queried.  Then do an 'ls -t a seitz.com', which will list
every entry for seitz.com that the server knows about.  If you try that
command on a server that's not authoritative for the domain, it'll chuck
a fit.  You *should* end up with a listing that corresponds to all the
hosts in your domain.  If you don't, the data isn't being transferred
for some reason ... probably a bad serial number.

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff

:
:
: *********************************************************************
: Chris Brown       cbrown@seitz.com            !!! HELP FIGHT SPAM !!!
:
: Join; www.cauce.org  See; spam.abuse.net, spamsucks.com, www.cm.org
:
: It may help to tell phil@agis.net (Phillip Lawlor), president of
: AGIS.NET, the only first tier ISP that allows and SUPPORTS spammers
: on the  Internet, what you think of spam.
:
:
:
:--
:TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org . Trouble?
:e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .
: