Re: a question about SAMBA!!!

>installed in a computer with Linux, that computer is connected to
>internet using a SLIP connection, and I have various computer with
>windows95 as clients of the computer with Linux and SAMBA connected to
>the computer with Linux using ethernet cards; those computer with
>windows95 will be able to access to internet?. How can  I get info about
>doing that?. If someone already has made a connection like this please
>contact me.

The answer is yes, "Linux can act as a router so that Win95 machines can
access the Internet via a SLIP/PPP connection".

BUT... Samba has **NOTHING** to with this.  This is a routing issue not a
samba/windows95 issue.

You will need to have one of three things setup on the Linux box to make
this work:

1/ IP Masquerading compiled into the kernel
2/ IP Forwarding installed into the kernel and a valid subnet routed
through your provider.
3/ A proxy server(s) setup to allow access for the Win95 machines (Squid is
a good place to start looking).

You will also need to have TCP/IP installed on all the Windows boxes and
bound to the ethernet adapter, and have the linux box setup as the default
gateway.

Adam.

----------------- Earthlight Communications Limited ----------------
P.O. Box 5301	                Adam Shand 	       (fax) +64 3 477 5463
Dunedin, New Zealand       Systems Manager    (voice) +64 3 479 0303