Re: CD Installation

> > I am planning to obtain your official LINUX two CD Set.  I have looked
at
> > the installation page at your site and there was no instruction for a
CD
> > installation.  Could you please provide me a set of instruction of the
CD
> > installation, the more detailed the better.

The CD set on the web site is for distributors, not end-users.  To install
from CD, get a copy of the CD Distribution - one that's advertised here is
www.li.org.  I've just bought a set from them, but still waiting to receive
it.

> > I also would like to be able to boot to Windows 95 if I need to - is
this
> > possible with your LINUX distribution?  If it is could also provide
> > instruction for this.

No problem.  See the Linux+Win95 mini-HOWTO under /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini after
you install Debian Linux.  (This can also be viewed online at:

http://www.li.org/Resources/HOWTO/mini/Linux+Win95

> > I realize that I have to repartition my hard drive - 1.2GB.  Is it
> > possible to repartition with out wiping out the files that are already
> > present?  Could you also include specific instruction for a multiple
> > partition, i.e. /usr.

This might be possible, but won't be easy and would still require a backup.
 May as well repartition the drive and then restore from the backup's you'd
have to make anyway....

> > Last thing, which kernel version is Debian 1.3 based on.  Red Hat 4.2
uses
> > the modular 2.0.30 kennel, is the kernel in Debian 1.3 comparable to
this
> > kernel.  If not could you please list the major differences.

Debian 1.3.x currently "installs" 2.0.29, which is very comparable to
2.0.30.  However, you can easily "upgrade" to 2.0.30 at any time because
this newer kernel is included with the Debian 1.3 distribution.  (i.e.
you'll have it on the CDROM)

Later,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst