Re: 3COM 3C905-TX PCI NIC

Rob enscribed thusly:

> I may be wrong, but why compile support for 3c59x when your card is
> 3c905?? get the numbers mixed up there? :)

	You are wrong.

	The 3c59x (vortex) and 3c90x (boomerang) cards are all supported by
the same driver (assuming that the driver is recent enough).  The stock
driver with the kernel sources is not.  Many people are using the 0.30
3x59x.c driver to support the 3c900 as well as the 3c59x cards but the
performance fo the 3c905 (100MBit cards) leaves a lot to be desired.  The
0.41 driver available from Donald Becker's site is reasonably stable
with a few provisos (has problems with 16 collision retries and cable
disconnect problems) and provides good performance with the 3c905.  There
are now some patches for the 0.41 driver which address most of these issues
and has been working rock solid for me.

	In any case, the "3c59x (vortex)" driver is or will be the correct
driver.  The kernel configuration description will need to be updated as
soon as the newer vortex/boomerang driver is integrated in.  That's now
up to Dave Miller and Donald Becker.  I'm personally hoping to seen the
driver that results from 0.41 with the recent patches (0.42?) in there
with 2.0.31 and 2.1.44, but it ain't there yet.

> On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Marty Leisner wrote:

> > I just bought a Pentium pro with a bundled 3c905 boomerang card...
> >
> > I figured to try it out in windows to see if it works...couldn't
> > get the enet card to work...
> >
> > Installed redhat 4.2...the boomerang worked with no problem...
> >
> > (but I built a clean 2.0.30 with 3c59x support and I had no luck...)

	The stock sources do not support this card.  You need the more recent
3c59x.c file from Donald Becker's site.  Getting some recent patches to this
helps with high traffic collision problems.  Go to the following URL for
more information...

	http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

> > --
> > marty