/dev/cua1 not there! -- so can't use modem

I have recently installed Debian 1.3 on a friend's laptop for him.  He
is complaining that /dev/cua1 doesn't exist.  Nor, apparently, do the
other cua files.

I did some reading and the impression I get is that the cu* files are
now obsolete.  If so, what are they replaced by?  In particular, what
device should my friend use for his modem?

Thanks.